Kojubatania

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Invincible

Recently, my county decided to revamp every library to make it more open-air and less bookstackish. Yes, I just made that word up. If you're familiar with the old configuration, the first thing you think when you walk into a redesigned library is "what the heck happened to all the books?" As far as I can tell, though, they haven't really reduced inventory beyond a typical spring cleaning of unrepairable or unborrowed titles. Honestly, I'm rather happy with the whole redesign. There is a sort of entrance island that highlights new releases and acquisitions, and rotates theme titles. The children's area has been completely redone to include some kind of wacky floor recliners instead of stoic tables and chairs - an encouragement to sit and read for a while. They've also expanded their computer section, letting more people have the opportunity to freely use broadband-connected PCs that perhaps might not have that opportunity otherwise.

All this, and they don't charge late fees, either. Good to know my tax dollars are going towards something worthwhile!

Last time I stopped by, I swung by the teen section of the library. (It's where they keep the graphic novels, you perv.) They had recently restocked with some new titles, and I picked up three. Star Wars Tales was decent, but not all that overwhelming. The Peter David story was fairly amusing. Flash: Crossfire was sorta 'eh'. Since I'm not exactly a Flash aficionado, there wasn't much meat for me here. It pretty much expected you to already be well-knowledgeable of Wally West, because there was very little going on with the Flash - most of the panel time focused on the supporting characters and villains.

The gem of the lot, though, was the first volume of Invincible. I have no idea if they still put out issues (I'm too lazy to look right now), but I know there were other volumes on the shelf. This is modern superhero done right. It's a light read, in general, but not necessarily a speed read. I'm looking forward to picking up the next volume when I go back.

It sums up the first couple of issues of the series, detailing the acquisition of the titular character's powers, his family life, an already existing teen team of super heroes, an extra-dimensional invasion, and kids getting blown to smithereens in the middle of malls. Good times!




Link of the moment: Don't have Edna Mode on your payroll? Then head over to the Hero Machine to create your costume!

1 Comments:

  • I love Invincible! It's still published, and is written by the best writer Image has working right now. Robert Kirkman is fantastic, he also writes The Walking Dead which in my opinion is the finest zombie comic ever written. Definately check it out too if they have it.

    By Blogger Mister Bones, at 08:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home