Kojubatania

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Poetry

Sometimes life is strange. I've found myself adding an entry on the proverbial list of 'Things Kojubat Needs to Do Before Dying', just so I can immediately check the box. That item? Win a poetry contest.

I'm not a poetry kind of guy. If I want to state 'the flower is pretty', I pretty much say 'the flower is pretty'. None of this stuff about the breath of angels, color qualities of celestial phenomena, or the industrial processes of apids. When I rhyme, it's accidental or intended for children. The only meter I use is the metric unit of distance. However, I do have a decent singing voice (with the high school awards to prove it), so I suppose if you set the poetry to music, I at least don't mind singing it.

I enjoy listening to podcasts. In fact, they are pretty much the only thing I listen to on my iPod. So, when a particular podcast on all things Whedon decided to run a Haiku contest, one almost immediately sprung to mind. I fiddled with it for a while, but couldn't make it any better than my original epiphany. So I eventually submitted it.

Oddly enough, it won. Wild. I don't want to disparage any of the other participants by suggesting it didn't deserve to win (despite my natural tendency to do so), so I'll suggest that for whatever reason, I had a fluke moment of inspiration. So I picked myself up a spiffy shirt, some wax vampire lips, and the neato graphic accompanying this entry.

In any case, here's the Haiku:

"Five by five," says she.
Without hope or charity,
I return to dust.





Link of the Moment: Since we're talking about symbolism, in a way, try to balance your life with the Levers.

4 Comments:

  • Congrats Koj! I entered a poetry contest once and got a letter back asking if my poem could be published in a book. I figured probably everybody who entered got said letter as it also gave me the option to buy the book.

    By Blogger Mister Bones, at 07:48  

  • Best. Poem. Ever. It gets the point across correctly and makes me think of Eliza Dushku. Congrats!

    By Blogger Brandon Cackowski-Schnell, at 13:48  

  • Thanks!

    I consider it a public service to help people think about Eliza Dushku.

    By Blogger Kojubat, at 13:55  

  • That's awesome. I love working in haiku.

    By Blogger k o w, at 16:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home