Kojubatania

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Fall Season

I finished Beyond Good & Evil last night. Great game, but a little short. That's okay, though - I'd rather a good game that's short over a long game that's mediocre. I'm also not thrilled with the Simon-esque final boss, but it wasn't completely aggravating. Otogi should be my next game, but I'm feeling like something else. I'll probably try and watch a movie tonight and get some early sleep. By then Burnout Revenge should be out, and I can spend some time crashing cars into things.

Regarding the aforementioned movie, I'm trying to clean out my DVR. Labor Day weekend was a free sample weekend for most of the pay channels on cable. We went and recorded a bunch of movies that are either real low on the Netflix list, or just sounded interesting. The oldest movie has been in danger of being removed for space for a while now. Other than the movies, I only have this past week's Battlestar Galactica on there, and about forty billion episodes of Oprah, Tony Danza, the View and various other shows. And no, I'm not into housewife television.

Well, I am, but the kind I like can't be shown on regular TV.

In any case, I need to clear it up for the new fall season. Compelling fiction and drama is really starting to make a comeback, and I'm so glad we're getting out of the reality TV fad. Scifi.com has their Fall SF TV Preview up, and I'm really interested in watching quite a few of them:

  • Invasion looks like a great show, and having it right after the new season of Lost (another show I love) is smart scheduling.

  • Supernatural starts tonight, and looks like it might be worth a look despite being on the WB. If they can stay smart, they might be able to pick up the Buffy crowd, but I suspect this will go more 'scary'.

  • Surface looks interesting, but might suffer from being too similar to Abyss. However, it appears to have no schedule conflicts.

  • Threshold has me concerned that it's one of the least likely to succeed. It's a Friday night show, and while that will fill the void when Sci-Fi Friday goes on hiatus, that has been a death kiss to many a show. It's also helmed by Brannon Braga, partly responsible for the recent downfall of the Star Trek franchise.

  • Bones starts tonight as well, and earns a first look because I like David Boreanaz of Angel fame. Hopefully if it is good it doesn't go the way of The Inside (another show linked to Angel) and vanish after seven episodes.

  • I want to give Ghost Whisperer a chance, but something tells me it's going to end up having the alternate name "Touched by a Ghost". I'll give it a shot, but I'm thinking it's not going to be my kind of show. Plus, Keg insists JLH already had her 15 minutes. My wager: first episode has Jennifer either in undergarments or taking a shower, or she does a Tru Calling run with bouncing frontal glands.


  • So, yeah. I know I'm going to get attached to something that gets cancelled. (See also: Firefly, Tru Calling, Farscape)

    And I'll be keeping up with Lost, Family Guy, Smallville, the SciFi Friday block (Stargate A&B, Battlestar), and whenever new episodes of 4400, JLU, Teen Titans, and ATHF come back. And to think, just a few years ago, I only watched about two hours of TV a week.

    Did I miss anything?




    Link of the moment: Now that SciFi is taking off, we need more Fantasy shows. We can start with commercials - certain to be a hit with a couple of the WoW addicts who stop by.

    1 Comments:

    • Supernatural was good, I'm thinking I'll be hooked on that one. I thought Bones was ok, I'll give it another episode or two, and I watched Head Cases last night but wasn't really impressed. Other things I'm lookiing forward to that weren't listed are The Night Stalker and My Name is Earl.

      By Blogger Mister Bones, at 07:20  

    Post a Comment

    << Home