Kojubatania

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Transition!

Sing it like a fiddler on a roof for maximum effect.


So anyway. I got outsourced over the weekend. Next week would have marked ten years with Disney, about nine years more than I expected to be there, and five more than I envisioned as sheer craziness. And yet, I find myself pretty saddened by the whole thing. Before I go further, I've got some good feelings on the new company, so while there is some natural hesitance, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. Intellectually, this is probably a good move for me - working for an IT company is better for my career over an entertainment company. But emotionally, I invested a third of my life into working for the Mouse. I would have never have met Patti if someone else had hired me back in '95. And by natural extension, I wouldn't have the two awesome kids I feed, clothe and maintain.

Sometimes working for Disney was pretty lousy. At one point I got reassigned and had to take a third shift job to accommodate the one car we had to work with, since we no longer worked in the same building. I've had to work crazy hours to handle peak periods.

But in general, I saw my Disney career as generally positive. I started in reservations, and the number of people just so happy to be going to Disney couldn't help but rub off on you. I've learned quite a bit on the technology side - enough that I can get jobs on experience alone without having my degree. I've met a lot of really good people. I've won awards and earned benefits. I've been welcomed in places I've never been just because of the nametag I was wearing.

So yeah, last week was probably my worst bout of depression in years (and let me tell you, I was pretty bad back in the day). I was angry about having to turn in my ID last Friday. I was peeved that I can no longer get my friends and family into the park once this calendar year is up. And so much for buying discount Tink paraphernalia for Patti from the various Disney sources.

But I'm still doing the same job I did last week, just for a different company. I'm getting over it.

Well, and the iPod I won on Monday probably helped.


Link of the moment: Since I'm still feeling a little railroaded, enjoy a little train game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home