Kojubatania

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Brain Dump

I'm beat. Stupid Zotob and all the other variants targeting the security hole. I worked straight through a ten hour shift yesterday with barely ten minutes away from my desk to use the waste facilities. And this thing only infects Win2K machines! At least twice I was asked to develop new reports and get them regularly scheduled with less than a half-hour lead time. I have never felt more like a Visual Basic MacGuyver then yesterday.

Part of me is aggravated. Part of me is pretty proud that I met every demand within the deadlines given me. And part of me really wanted some BBQ, so we had Smokey Bones for dinner. Considering it's a chain barbeque place, it's pretty good.

I was so tied up yesterday, I couldn't go to the psychiatrist appointment with my youngest son. They're saying he has early signs of ADHD and are recommending medication. For a four year old. Sheesh. However, he has been kicked out of two daycares already due to his complete lack of control in certain situations. When he's throwing chairs at two years old, you start to worry.

I hate the idea of drugging up my kid. But what if he really has ADHD, and this will help him? He's pretty smart when he puts his mind to something - he has a pretty complicated vocabulary for his age, and regularly does worksheets faster than other kids his age. And he can beat his brother at some of the games we have loaded on their computer. (He really digs the Toy Story 2 Activity Center software. Before that he liked starting Bear and the Big Blue House over and over until the video card screwed up and displayed everything wrong.) He's also cute as a button and one of the mushiest kids I know. I'm looking for a good picture as I type this. Found one - first day of school this year: youngest on the left, oldest on the right.

So if we deny him the medication when he needs it, are we any better than Head Wacko Tom Cruise? I don't know. I just know that if it turns my little boy into a listless zombie, I'll have felt that I've made a tragic mistake.

So anyway, not much else going on. I decided to play the MechAssault 2 campaign all the way through, since it was short (two nights of play and I was done). Pretty easy, and would have peeved me if the multiplayer wasn't fun, and I pretty much got it for a song. BG&E is already in the tray, ready for my next game session.




Link of the moment: Want to improve your vocabulary? Try the visual thesaurus.

10 Comments:

  • I'm split when it comes to the use of pharmaceuticals on children. My girlfriend has her Master's in Spec Ed and teaches children with all sorts of disorders ADHD included. In some instances I can see where the meds do help the child. It's brings them back to center and helps the people around them by tempering the behavior they are displaying.

    But another part of me says let kids be kids. Now granted some actions qualify as excessive and meds will indeed control that. But my question has always been to my gf is "What else do the meds supress?" Certainly the behaviors that concern others are treated but what about the internal thought processes of a developing child? How are they affected? Is it simply a matter of letting the child grow out of the behavior or do we prescribe something form them that will make their lives miserable so that we are less burdened.

    I believe you have my phone #. I'm sure my gf would love to help you in any way possible. It'll cost me a dinner for the consult for you but I'll make sure it's at a brew pub.

    By Blogger k o w, at 10:31  

  • I think that the fact that you're trying to evaluate the use of medication, rather than throwing up your hands in desperation and rushing towards the pharmacy is a good sign. Some kids are rowdy, so it's natural to wonder if he isn't just a rambunctious kid that will grow out of it. However, at the same time, only you know your child and the situations that brought you to considering this solution.

    I wish I could help ya man, with making the decision, but I know nothing about it, so instead I'll just tell you that I'd be happy to help in any other way I can.

    By Blogger Brandon Cackowski-Schnell, at 15:34  

  • Thanks for the offers of help. Our experience has been that when he starts getting bad, a visit to 'Dr.' John usually calms him down for a few weeks. I have no idea why. My biggest concern is going to be when public school rolls around in a year - I don't want to be daily pals with the principal (though amusingly, the principal is the mother of someone I graduated high school with).

    I really don't like medicine except when absolutely necessary. But when he gets off-track, he can get pretty violent.

    Oddly enough, the caregivers that have controlled him the best have all been hispanic women with strong personalities. And we don't have any hispanic heritage on either side of our families, so I don't know where it comes from. Maybe I just need to hire a nanny.

    But I won't be suprised when he asks Rosalita to the prom.

    We'll figure it out somehow.

    By Blogger Kojubat, at 15:46  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger LSG, at 01:42  

  • Hey, Koju...

    When LazeeBoy was younger, we thought he had ADD. And I was worried. I'd watched all the shows about the meds being overused, and kids getting it when they didn't need it.. etc. His 1st grade teacher was CONVINCED that was his problem. (Turns out, it wasn't. He has some sort of learning problem, in that his brain doesn't process the information like most people.)

    I've known several people with kids on ADD/ADHD meds. Some think they are the greatest thing since sliced white bread, and others can't stand them.

    I think, if it's decided that your child needs medication, that communicating your concerns and fears to the physician is VITAL.

    Also, I understand that there are some new meds on the market that aren't as sedating.

    Sorry for pokin' my nose in here, but I'm familiar with your fears... and hoped I could add a little to the conversation.

    By Blogger LSG, at 01:44  

  • Kids run on piss and vinegar. Hope thats all it is to the situation. See if a little harsher dicipline will settle him down. I wouldn't trust doctors on diagnosing ADD/ADHD for nothing. Too many stories of false diagnosis. However, if you have to go that route, seek many opinions my friend.

    By Blogger Frozin, at 10:52  

  • I don't mind the input - I post it, feel free to comment. ;)

    The group diagnosing this is the only group in the area under insurance. However, the initial diagnosis is from a therapist who himself has ADD - and he sees some similarities beyond the normal signs. Whether the familiarity with the condition helps or not, I'm not sure. When he was assessed by the actual doctor in the office, he came to the same conclusion. Essentially, they will still help however they can, but they've said if we don't go the recommended medication route, he's too young for any of the other treatments.

    We're probably going to take him in to see someone else and just bite the no-insurance bullet. Second opinions never hurt.

    His pediatritian defers this kind of stuff to the shrinks (sorry, HG), so they aren't involved other than to say that he's physically healthy.

    As far as discipline, I think we are pretty strict with discipline. We're not afraid to spank when warranted (I know that's not popular these days, but it works in limited dosages), and when he gets time in his room for less heinous crimes, he can't wiggle his way out. We also tie his good behaviour to rewards - having a good report for the day means he gets to play on the computer after dinner.

    Anyway, again, thanks for the advice. Since the last visit, he's in his good cycle - so whatever mental connection he makes to tie the psych visit to good behaviour still seems to be working. Hopefully it sticks.

    By Blogger Kojubat, at 13:31  

  • I spoke to my gf this weekend trying to include as many details about the situation as I could. She would love to advise you if you have any questions. Email me at pwalk@comcast.net and I will forward it onto her. In reply she has asked me to send you her contact info. So if your interested I have an expert standing by.

    Cheers,
    Pete

    By Blogger k o w, at 14:46  

  • Doctors around here don't diagnose ADD/ADHD. If they suspect the condition, they refer you to a special testing center.

    We didn't have Lazee tested because it was $750 out of pocket to get them done.

    A wonderful dedicated teaching staff helped him overcome his attention issues in class, and helped nail down that he processed information in a different way.

    Hope you're able to find a comforatable solution to your son's situation. I can imagine how frustrating this is for your family.

    By Blogger LSG, at 11:28  

  • There's no harm in trying the meds. If they're causing the problems to get worse, or are causing different problems, then you can easily stop having him take them. You should know whether the meds are helping within the first month.

    Good luck bud.

    By Blogger Galen, at 01:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home