Kojubatania

Friday, June 09, 2006

Eloquence

I've been making a conscious effort to blog every weekday for the past two weeks. So far, it hasn't been all that difficult to come up with things to talk about. I just imagine it's not all that interesting to read.

One of the secondary goals of this renewed effort is to force myself to write more. My job tends to deal more in numbers and technical descriptions. I haven't really written anything 'normal' in quite a while - probably not since the days of text-based online RPGs. What most writers will tell you when you ask for advice on improving your writing skills is to just keep writing. So here I am.

I'm not looking to publish anything, nor do I expect this blog to suddenly gain a rabid following hanging on my every turn of phrase and clever wit. (Although, I've never had a rabid following. Maybe I need to get one.) I'm just generally dissatisfied with my writing skills. I read other blogs of people whose tongues contain more than the trace elements of silver that mine does, and while I am not jealous, I feel stirrings of inadequacy. So I'll write and I'll write, and perhaps improve my style.

Vocabulary is not an issue, really. I'm a bit of a voracious reader. Compulsive, even - I have trouble not reading words when I see them. There's one bit of folklore that says vampires have a sort of OCD - if you are being chased by one, toss a large number of something in their path and they will stop to count it before continuing the pursuit.* I'm kind of that way with words. Toss a full-page treatise in my way, and you'll probably escape easily.

Oh, and this isn't a blog to garner sympathy or encouragement - it's appreciated but not necessary. It's just what I wanted to write about today.




* Neither this site nor its representatives are responsible if you are eaten by the undead due to the failure of this theory.




Link of the moment: Enough about me, what about you? Specifically, go see what your IP Address says about you, and how interesting it is compared to other addresses.

3 Comments:

  • I've noticed and I've been reading all along. Personally I love to write and thus the reason why I have something up over at my site everyday. It's a matter of just keeping my mind in shape along with reading.

    I'm drowning in Stikfas. Want some? I'm serious.

    By Blogger k o w, at 09:42  

  • Can't speak for vampires, but if I ever get after you, just throw some comics or hot wings in a different direction and you're in the clear.

    Not to echo Keg, but that's exactly what I do over at the Batcave. It's just fun, not important in the least and hardly anybody ever stops by. But it's something I enjoy and it kills that half hour downtime between getting all my stuff ready and the first surgeries of the day ending.

    Here's the encouragement you didn't want. Keep it up, I'm enjoying reading them.

    By Blogger Mister Bones, at 10:57  

  • Keg, you know it's physically impossible for me to say no to new toys. ;) I'd have to compensate you some how.

    I'll have to keep some comics about hot wings on hand, just in case, Bones.

    By Blogger Kojubat, at 13:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home